90. T1D disaster preparedness and traveling with temperature sensitive insulin with Dan & Lisa Katzki
November 09, 2023
It’s the thing no one really wants to think about, but what happens to your temperature sensitive insulin in a disaster emergency? Sure, the zombie apocalypse seems less likely, but a hurricane or earthquake? Or even simply traveling? Those are very real. I admit, I hadn’t much thought about this, but after talking to Dan & Lisa Katzki about the Frio insulin cooling case, I’ve realized how important this conversation about disaster preparedness is. Dan has been a diabetic since 1986 and Lisa is an RN with a speciality in disasters. This episode is convicting in the best way to be prepared and have one less worry with T1D.
- (05:08) When Dan met Frio & the difficulties of traveling with T1D
- (08:24) Dan on the fear of “not having your oxygen” and Lauren admits her lack of disaster prep in the past
- (09:50) Lisa’s incredible Frio story following Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and 11 months of no electricity
- (13:58) The temperature insulin needs to be stored at and educating ourselves
- (18:06) Peace of mind and temperature as one less thing to worry about with T1D
- (19:59) How Frio works as an evaporative cooler
- (23:36) The most common Frio sizes
- (24:42) Where to buy Frio
- (29:19) As a disaster specialist RN, what would Lisa say to people who don’t think of worst case scenario?
What to do now:
- Follow me @lauren_bongiorno and @riselyhealth on Instagram to stay in the loop for when new episodes drop.
- Learn more and apply for the January 2024 Decide and Conquer Bootcamp HERE.
- www.FRIOCase.com - this is where you can learn about and purchase the FRIO® Medication Cooling Case.
- Disaster Supplies Kit for PWDs - here’s a valuable checklist to ensure a good outcome in a bad situation.
Disclaimer: Nothing you hear on the Reclaim your Rise podcast should be a substitute for personalized professional medical advice. Please always consult your physician or other medical professional before making any changes to your diet, insulin dosages, or healthcare plan.